Http 500 error when deploying .NET Framework 2.0 application on Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8.5
How to get your legacy .NET application up and running on Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8.5
If you're getting a stock 500 error when attempting to run a legacy .NET application on a Windows Server 2012 instance on IIS 8.5, make sure your application pool ID is set up properly.
On IIS 8.5, the Application Pool Id is normally set to ApplicationPoolIdentity instead of NetworkService - here is how to change it:
- Open IIS
- Click on Application Pools
- Right click the Application Pool in question
- Click on Advanced Settings
- Scroll down to where it says "ID"
- Click on the small button next to "ApplicationPoolIdentity" to change the property
- Select Network Service from the list
- Click OK
- Restart the Application Pool
Also, make sure that your Application Pool is referencing the .NET 2 framework and not the .NET 4 framework.
Please consider what you post!
Chillax if you're angry.